Monday, October 22, 2012

For Karen. . .

Hey, Karen, guess what? You get your own blog post! This one's for you! . . .

Imagine my delight at opening my email inbox today, and receiving not one, not two, not even three, but four new comments on my blog today. I was excited, thinking maybe someone had read what I'd written, and wanted to let me know they'd been touched by it. It's happened before! Honestly! But, sigh. . . not today. Each response was from just one person: my new friend, Karen. And each one was a recitation of all the ways in which I was wrong on that day's topic.

My first inclination was to respond to each comment, point by point, and explain what you'd failed to see in the original post. To refute your criticisms. To defend myself and my hard-won positions. And then I realized the futility in such an effort. Because I realized, Karen, that you haven't come here to engage me in enlightening dialogue because you're interested in my viewpoint and perspective. You want only to point out where I am wrong, and to bolster your own views by tearing down mine. As I pointed out once before, you seem much more interested in confrontation than conversation.

Karen, you have expressed yourself in a most articulate manner. Your faith seems to be well thought out, and your testimony well grounded intellectually. You obviously are committed to the church, and seem to have spent considerable time studying the gospel. But, I think maybe you have missed the point. Granted, this is only my opinion, but you don't seem to be communicating from the heart, with love and compassion for your fellow man (or woman). Your comments feel condescending, written only to point out the flaws in my arguments, not with any attempt at truly understanding where I'm coming from. In other words, I feel attacked and condemned. Misunderstood. Misjudged. Is this how I've made you feel in my posts? And I ask that question in all sincerity, as I'd hate to think I've made you feel a smidgeon of what I'm feeling. If that is the case, I'm sorry. I am truly sorry.

Karen, you said that your sister-in-law has also left the church, and has said many of the same things I've posted. And I think maybe you are reacting to that situation much more than to my writings. Are you perhaps scared, fearful for her soul, and sorry for her family's loss? I understand those feelings. But maybe you would be better served addressing those concerns with her, and not here, where it does little good. Maybe it's time for a conversation with your sister-in-law. And keep in mind the admonition to seek first to understand, then to be understood. That's what we all want, isn't it? To be understood, and then loved, in spite of our flaws.

Yes, Karen, I am flawed. Deeply so. And I admit that I could be, and in fact probably am, wrong on so many things, in so many ways. I blame it on the human condition. I try to stay open to new ways of looking at life, and the meaning of our existance. But, like you, I have also spent considerable time considering my positions, and my beliefs. Many years, in fact. And I came to the conclusion that, for me, religion does not have satisfactory answers. I have found the peace I seek outside of the Mormon faith; in fact, outside of Christianity. I never anticipated finding myself here, but here is where I am. And I like it. It doesn't feel dark and lonely. I don't think I am under the influence of Satan. I feel happy, lighter, peaceful. And I'd really like to know, Karen, why my feelings are less valid than yours, that the church, and the gospel, are true? How can you be so sure that what I feel, what I've experienced, comes from a dark and evil source? Why are you so convinced that I've been deceived by Satan? Why can't you admit the possibility that I'm okay where I am, and that I'm right before God?

I made a decision early on that I wouldn't debate believing members of the church, for several reasons. Mostly, because I have no desire to win converts to my way of thinking. I have no desire to convince you, or anyone else, that I'm right and you're wrong. I have absolutely no intention of swaying anybody toward my way of thinking concerning religion. I'm of the opinion that we are each entitled to believe what makes sense to us, what leads us to peace, and what inspires us to make the world a better place. And believe me when I tell you that I have found all of that outside of the Mormon church. Of course, you don't believe me, and you won't, no matter how eloquent my argument. And that will have to be okay. I can't convince you that there is any validity to my views. We will have to agree to disagree.

Which brings me to another reason I don't debate believing members, such as yourself. These conversations rarely bring understanding. Neither party walks away feeling better about the other. It's a no-win situation. For that reason, maybe it's time for you to walk away. Maybe it's time for you to go back to your life and focus on how the gospel of Jesus Christ can penetrate your heart and bring peace to your soul. Maybe you can take a little of what I have said to heart, and look for ways to connect with your sister-in-law, outside of religion, and maybe reach a different understanding of her. Just think of the difference you could make in her life if you reached out to her with a desire to understand rather than to convince. Maybe you could be friends. Imagine the pain and loneliness you could alleviate just by loving her. Without judgement. Without condescension. Just love, Karen. You can do that, can't you?

8 comments:

  1. As a "devout Mormon" I understand both Karen's point, and Mertylejoy's...It is interesting to see emotions I have had, splayed out on this blog from 2 other people's perspectives.

    I believe that the Gospel of Jesus Christ IS ALL ABOUT love, acceptance and keeping commandments as a vehicle to a future destination, that I DESIRE to be in. However, not everyone has the same desires.

    To Karen - Living a celestial life is a choice you make, (and I make) because we desire to be in the presence of God eternally. Not everyone wants that and God won't force anyone to be with him. In instances like your family member, who has left the church...it is HORRIBLY PAINFUL to both love and disagree with the "departed member." Mostly, I think that is because we feel that we, as members are "right." However, what I know for sure (hopefully you do to) is that God, and Jesus Christ, still love each of us. No matter what. That doesn't change. It never will, and they understand brains like Mertlejoy, and your SIL. They understand our hearts intentions, and THAT is all that matters.

    I will answer for you another question in your comment. Yes Myrtlejoy's family reads this blog. Her BIL is constantly upset by her point of view...but he still supports her family. I am not sure about her parents, but I bet they do. As for me, I don't get to blogs that often, but Myrtlejoy is my Aunt. We disagree drastically on the topic of "organized religion." As does her own spouse...he is active in the LDS faith. But, family is not about agreeing. I disagree with my family on a plethora of subjects, we are still a family...an eternal family.

    I am sure that you think it is "informative" and maybe even intriguing to read blogs like this to try to understand your SIL and her way of thinking. But will that ever strengthen your own testimony? Probably not. It isn't important to understand them. It is important to love them because they are family, and because they are children of God. It is so important to work out your own salvation, because it is your own. It is important to focus on your own family and children. You would be better served to stop "surfing" and start an in depth study of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. He will teach you how to love and how to understand those who don't see this religion the same way you and I do. I am in the middle of such studies, and I guarantee it helps.

    To Myrtlejoy...I still stand by what I said originally, while painful, I still love you, and my love has nothing to do with your religious beliefs, but everything to do with mine. And that is what makes family so special. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I have been away from her tooooooo long... I am sorry!
    Guess what!?!? I LOVE YOU!!! I am not sorry for you, I am proud of you. You are my hero!
    May your life be continually filled with peace and happiness, fot YOU deserve it!
    Much love my Myrtle!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Karen and K, Well I personally don't know Myrtlejoy, but I know her parents. I have heard them publicly express their love for their children, even if they chose different paths. They are very aware of how she feels and they love her and want her to be happy. And doesn't she radiate happiness in her blogs? I have a strong testimony of many things she no longer believes and was surprised last week when one of her brothers repeatedly commented how much like his sister I was. I was a bit confused, because all I knew about her was that "she wasn't active in the church right now." So I decided to do some lurking and research and after reading her blogs, I know I am like her. We could be two peas in a pod, more so than she and her brother. It reminded me today that we are so much more than our religious status. Seriously, why do people (including me) sometimes think in terms of such mundane labels. I intend to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've brought me to tears today, Lori Jean. I wish I knew you in real life!
    Thanks for sharing your feelings with me here. It's nice to know that someone 'got' me. I love what you said about labels. We could all do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Myrtlejoy. I would love to meet you and get to know you someday. If you are ever in Roy, look me up. I live just around the corner from your folks, in the 4600 4700 loop, and my yard borders the high school baseball field. Feel free to give me a call. I've been on a roller coaster ride the last 3 1/2 years and am going through a stressful divorce. I often feel misunderstood and alone and unique. Maybe I should start a blog of my experiences. It just might be very therapeutic for me too.

      Delete
    2. And thanks for calling me Lori Jean. That felt really nice. I have felt the need for a name change with my upcoming divorce. I've thought about going back to my maidenname, but it might be harder on my kids and I'm not sure how hard the process is, and I also realized that my maidenname isn't me any more than my married name is. And the thought came to start using my middle name, but I didn't know how to go about doing that. I hadn't thought about it for a few days and when I tried to post a comment earlier it wanted me to "sign in" or something and so I just picked Google and all my g-mail accts popped up and I just picked this one cuz I hadn't used it for a while so it didn't have a bunch of junk mail. I didn't even think about it having my middle name until you referred to me. It felt good. Thanks

      Delete
    3. I'm glad that felt good to you, and right!
      I've tried to find you on Facebook, as that is where you said you found me, but I was unsuccessful. Could you send me a friend request? Please?

      Delete