Sunday, February 19, 2012

The God Debate

Please forgive me for what I'm about to write. I am very aware that my feelings and opinions are controversial and offensive to many people, especially in regards to religion. You have been duly warned. If you choose to continue reading, use what I have to say as a springboard toward a greater understanding of your own feelings and opinions, whatever those may be. I promise to give you as much room as you afford me.

One benefit of growing older is a greater ability to understand myself, and to accept those parts of me that have in the past only brought confusion and/or pain. One of the more problematic aspects of my personality is the propensity to see both sides of an issue. This has at times made me feel wishy-washy and weak. (Maybe Mitt and I have something in common?!) In debating deep, philosophical topics, such as religion and politics, I can be easily swayed to consider another's viewpont as valid, and have been known to change my mind mid-debate. Needless to say, I am not a champion debater! I have developed strong opinions on a variety of topics as I've matured, but I still find myself thinking, when confronted with someone else's well-thought out approach, "Huh, makes sense. Hadn't considered that." What is that old proverb about not keeping such an open mind that all the smarts leak out?

The point of this post is that I'm a fence-sitter, a position that is frowned upon in most religious circles. Isn't there a scripture that says you're either with us or against us? Paraphrased, of course. You can't serve God and Mammon? I remember hearing about those who were borderline neutral in the war in heaven (a misnomer, by the way). They came to earth and received bodies, but are relegated to living out their mortal existence in lowlier circumstances than those of us who chose Jesus' plan, and were privileged to be born to latter-day-saint homes. Most people I know reject this idea as it smacks of elitism, and leads us to judge others unrighteously. But I do recall being taught this as a child; it was a way to maybe understand why we were born to such privilege, as opposed to those born into a life of starvation, deprivation, and spiritual darkness. Maybe they were fence-sitters, unable to decide between Jesus and Lucifer, but enough in the right camp that they were allowed to continue on to the second estate? Neutrality is not encouraged by anyone on either side of the God debate.

I do find compelling evidence of God's existence. Having grown up in the mormon church, I've been taught all of my life that He is there, that He is my father in heaven, that He knows me personally, and that He is interested in my every thought and action. I have had experiences that felt spiritual in nature, and at times I have felt certain that He was in charge and was watching over me, directing my life from afar. I can't be sure if what I felt was a result of lifelong conditioning to believe, or if God is really there and really notices each hair on my head. I have felt at times a yearning for 'home', a desire to be in the presence of unconditional love and acceptance. This God, however, is not the God I learned of in church. The mormon God (my own interpretation!!) does not feel loving or accepting. He feels judgmental, condescending, self-righteous, demanding, narcissistic, capricious, egotistical, cruel, vain, arrogant, haughty. So, if the mormon God is the real one, I'm really not interested in a relationship with him, I don't want to return to live with him, and I don't want to become like him.

I've listened to many people talk of their relationship with God, and they certainly don't agree with my assessment of His personality. They speak of feeling loved, accepted, guided, inspired, lifted up, supported in their weaknesses. When I hear this, I am sometimes persuaded to consider that I am wrong. Just this week, I read an account written by someone who had given up on God, only to have an experience with the spirit that felt otherworldly to her, and confirmed to her that He did indeed exist. She cannot account for the experience in any other way than that God spoke to her heart, and she felt a desire to remain a member of the church, even though she continued to take issue with many of the practices of church members. I did feel something while reading her story, a small flicker of desire in my heart to have a similar experience. I want to feel God too. However, I don't want to hear from the mormon God; too much baggage, in my opinion. But it is experiences like these that convince me that there is something out there beyond our understanding, some higher power or entity who is interested in what we are up to here on planet earth.

That being said, I've found much food for thought in the atheist camp. Richard Dawkin's book, "The God Delusion" was an enlightening read for me. I had never considered the atheist point of view before; as a mormon, my exposure to such an idea was very limited. Atheism is threatening to religious people, a stance I sort of get, but on the other hand (see? wishy-washy!), I don't think God is particularly threatened by a thoughtful consideration of His existence. I have also thoroughly enjoyed reading Sam Harris. He is a reasonable, rational man, who does not denigrate those who believe in God, yet provides compelling reasons to question the reality of a supernatural being capable of moving mountains. Julia Sweeney is another prominent atheist who has given me much to think about. She details her journey away from the Catholic church in a one-woman show titled, "Letting Go of God". So much of what she went through mirrored my own path, and I found myself laughing and crying at her descriptions of delving deeper into scripture in order to understand a God who defies understanding. She finally reached a point where she allowed herself to think the unthinkable, to try on unbelief in God, to see what the world looked like from an atheist point-of-view. And it was okay. She felt peace, and self-acceptance. I had a similar experience when I tried on my un-testimony of the mormon church. It was okay, and I felt peace.

However, when I have considered the atheist position, I find that I cannot make that leap. I cannot not believe in God. I did try on the atheist hat; it didn't fit. Or maybe I just can't let my mind go to a place where there is no life after this one. I cannot accept that it all ends here, that my loved ones and I will simply cease to be. I cannot accept that there is no greater meaning to our existence, no purpose beyond a biological and evolutionary one. For whatever reason, I can't go there. I don't want to go there. So I'm kind of stuck in between camps. Sigh....

I have been accused of choosing doubt as a philosophy of life. I don't think that's true. Doubt certainly fueled my quest for answers, as it does for anyone. By the way, when did doubt become a dirty word? What is wrong with doubt? Yeah, I know, the scriptures say to doubt not; the scriptures also say not to wear linen with wool. I 'doubt' that God cares much about mixing fabrics.

So, what is my philosophy of life, if not doubt? I can't really sum it up in a sound-bite, but if I had to choose one word, that word would be uncertainty. It has a somewhat negative connotation, but it's the word. I am not certain of the existence of God; neither am I certain of His non-existence. I don't know. I don't think I can know. For me, the God question is unknowable. I hope there is something beyond this life. I want to believe that there is something beyond this life. I don't know that there is something beyond this life, but, most of the time, I am content with not knowing. I guess maybe agnostic sums it up best.

One thing I do believe is that, if there is a God, He is okay with my philosophy. If He created me, this cannot have come as a surprise. And I don't feel Godly displeasure at my questioning. In fact, I believe that He applauds my efforts to seek Him. I think He is glad that I am not satisfied with pat answers to the big questions. Somewhere, out there in the vastness that is the universe, there is someone who is cheering me on, who wants me to keep searching and asking, who accepts that I am not content with God as He has been presented to me. I think. Or not.

6 comments:

  1. I love this post, because I think I could have written it. I believe there is a God, but not the Mormon God. And God could be a force in the universe that I just can't explain...

    Sometimes I see the damage that people who believe in God inflict on other people. Or the thinking that God will somehow take care of them or other people, so they don't do anything... and then I think: Maybe it's better if we don't believe in God.

    And I have had amazing experiences where I just KNEW what I needed to do. That actually included leaving the church. But I have felt God (or something) guiding me. I knew how to heal myself from all of the crappy life events long before I should have known.

    I do have doubt as a philosophy for life. Doubting makes me question, keeps me searching. Back when I thought I knew the answers, I wasn't willing to work to find them... I really like being able to say, "I don't know." It just feels good to me...

    And I think God, whoever/whatever God is, doesn't care.

    Thanks for writing this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post from beginning to end. I'm only sorry there was so much pain in between, but I guess we learn from our sorrows. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing that struck me here is your lamentation that one of your gifts is the ability to see both sides. I’m not completely convinced of that. I’ve already commented on your depiction of the faithful members of your family, and it seems to be a bit one-sided. I will grant that you want to be fair in your depiction of them, but when people leave the church and turn around and try to paint their family and friends they left behind as “blind sheep” (my phrase), it belies an underlying bitterness, even if only to a very small degree.


    Something else hit me. At first, I thought it might simply have been a typo. But then I saw it repeated throughout the post. While it may not seem a big deal to you, for a person who has left the Mormon church to type it “mormon church”, without using the respectful capitalization on the “Mormon,” seems to fit into the stereotype of ex-Mormons who continue to attack the church. I’m sure you’ll bristle at this suggestion, but being an intelligent person and having been raised in the church, I don’t think you can legitimately claim ignorance on this, especially when contrasted with your capitalization of “Catholic.”

    I agree with you that God does not frown on your search for him, though it seems your comparison of doubt to fashion sense is a bit trite, but I’m sure that was your attempt at humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I shouldn't keep responding to your comments, Karen, but I just can't help myself. Sigh.
    I don't find my comparison of doubt to fashion sense trite at all. I wasn't attempting humor, but merely trying to illustrate the futility of using scripture to back up one's religious positions. You can find just about any justification you are looking for in scripture.
    And about mormon vs. Mormon. Really? That's what strikes you about this post? *That* seems a bit trite.
    Lastly, yes, Karen, "blind sheep" is your phrase. I never used it, never have, never will. It is offensive, and does not describe my religiously oriented family or friends.
    I welcome your visits to my blog, and generally welcome a dissenting voice, as it pushes me to re-evaluate my own opinions for validity. However, maybe you aren't in a good place to be reading a former Mormon's blog. I detect more of a desire to confront than to converse, and I'm just not interested in that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ms. karen: (please notice the purposefully placed disrespectful lower case k)

    You are just a cranky pants, you know that? You show up here, uninvited but welcome and then trash and bash the lovely Myrtlejoy for being herself. What gives?

    Some of us LIKE this blog. Some of us LOVE this blogger. Stick around if you can be nice, but otherwise, take your cranky pants elsewhere.

    PS: Myrtlejoy: Keep blogging JUST THE WAY YOU DO!
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sniff, sniff. . . I have such lovely friends!

    ReplyDelete