Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rain, rain, go away!! Don't come back 'til October!

I love a good thunder storm! And when the rain is pouring down, it's exciting and calming at the same time! But, I'm sick of the rain! I've had enough!! This morning, when I went into the bathroom, the window was open and the rain was coming down pretty hard. I stood there enjoying the moment, letting it mist my face as I pressed up against the screen. But enough already! It's June! I need some sunshine against my face! As I stood there looking out I muttered under my breath, "God, please make it stop raining!" And it started to hail. Right then and there. Not the answer I was looking for! God has a pretty wicked sense of humor!


I've changed my approach to prayer over the past couple of years, mainly because I don't find much peace on my knees with my head bowed in reverence. Any God who created me and is looking for me to come to him knows this, and I believe he accepts what I bring to the table. When he bothers to listen at all, that is. I don't intend to debate anyone over the nature of God and his relationship to us, but I no longer believe in the God of lost keys, the God who is micro-managing our earthly experience. However, I cannot discount the times in my life when I've received an answer to heart-felt prayer, and not just when rain turned to hail right before my eyes. I don't understand how it works, but the universe is definately responsive to our needs at times.


There have been several times in my life when my prayers have been answered in a big way, such as when I knew without a doubt that Daron was the one for me, or when I knew that Grace would join our family within a year, and she was born almost exactly one year later. Never mind that that prayer was answered through the Simpsons! Yes, the irreverent Fox cartoon! God does indeed work in mysterious ways!
The most dramatic example I can remember is from a few years back when Daron was still working at the Sheriff's office, and disliked his immediate superior officer with a fierce intensity. One Sunday night, we were driving home to Logan after dinner with my family. Daron was particularly testy, answering any queries directed his way with terse, biting replies. I asked what was eating him, and he said that he was not looking forward to returning to work the next morning, knowing what and who would be waiting for him. I felt bad, and wished that there was anything I could do to relieve his burden. Later that night, as I knelt in prayer, I told Heavenly Father that while I knew that he loved M***, we didn't, and anything He could do to lighten Daron's load would be much appreciated. The next morning, Daron understandably dragged his feet as he prepared for work. Finally, he came down the hall toward the kitchen with a spring in his step that was usually missing on work mornings. He grinned at me, and said, "I've been trying to get ahold of M*** all morning, and couldn't find him anywhere. I finally found him at his home, sick in bed! He is taking the day off to recuperate from the flu!" Normally I don't delight in anyone's misfortune, but it seemed to me that my prayer had been answered with a touch of the flu! Daron was able to have a pleasant day at work, free from the pressure of dealing with his boss's persnickety personality! He got the break he so sorely needed! And I got an answer to a prayer, one that has provided a humorous anecdote over the years of how God takes care of us in our hour of need!
One other example comes to mind as I think of times when a prayer has been directly and promptly answered. My mission was at times a lonely experience, toiling in a foreign country in a foreign tongue, missing my family and my home. One night, I knelt by my bed and told Heavenly Father how lonely I was, and homesick, and asked Him if he even knew I was there. As soon as I'd climbed into my bed, I heard a voice from across the dark bedroom: "Hermana Bouwhuis, I love you." It was my companion, who told me later that she had no idea why she told me that at that particular time, but for me it was an answer to my pleading to know if anyone knew I existed. Someone did, and that someone prompted my companion to voice out loud what I so badly needed to hear. Thirty years later, I can still feel the emotion I felt at that time, the warmth of knowing that God was listening. And so was Hermana Scott!
Anyway, prayer is a funny thing. I'm not sure how it works, or why sometimes it is so immediately answered and at other times, silence. The universe is indeed a mysterious place.
What are some of the more memorable experiences you've had that you're willing to share with me? Who knows.... you might strengthen my faith in the process!!

3 comments:

  1. Last year when I was trying to get over T**** I was debating whether or not to go on a mission and when I prayer about it... I've never felt such peace and love and reassurance that it was the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one...medically interesting even!! Random health issues with inconsistent side effect took me to the doctor...long story short, went to the doctor in February thinking he would prescribe a pill and his diagnosis: Total V. Hysterectomy due to pelvic prolapse. Shocked. Scared. Faced with the reality of having no more children, before the age of 30... Came home, in tears, all alone no one to talk to about it and got down on my knees and cried and prayed. Cried so hard the carpet was wet. Said a lot about how scared I was, and how I needed peace to confront the surgery that was scheduled for less than 2 weeks later. Said I NEEDED to know I'd be okay. (I HATE hospitals -- been there too many times as a patient.) Worried because although in theory I wanted no more children, being told you CAN'T have more is traumatic. I have never felt so much support. I felt lifted, I felt calm, I felt inner serenity. I felt loved. I felt angelic arms around me and knew that I'd be okay. I never worried after that...even joked all the way into surgery. (very UN like me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had plenty of experiences with prayer, some quite amazing and some too private to share in this type of forum. Suffice it to say that I've had enough of them to know that they get answered. Not always as I wish, nor when I would like.

    It's good to write about them in a journal to have in times of doubt.

    ReplyDelete